Saturday, September 20, 2014

This I believe..... to be continued


In taking a Theory Into Practice course to hone my skills in my profession to best help learners and colleagues I work with, we were assigned a reflection assignment based on an NPR segment entitled "This I Believe". It is intended to be a reflection assignment about our core beliefs that guide our daily lives.  I've started reflecting and below are my initial thoughts about what drives me. 
I believe we are whom we surround ourselves with. People can inspire you or drain you.  Who we choose to spend time with can help define us in our families, with our friends, and professionally. The people we choose to let into our lives and shape our conversations, thoughts and feelings are reflections of who we are.  Choose wisely.
 I believe that there is no greater calling than being an educator.  Who else holds the world in their hands?  Educators inspire people to be doctors, writers, engineers, social workers, and yes, even politicians.  Educators have the power to show the world to a learner and light a spark of greatness.  I believe educators sometimes forget the weight of our task is mighty.  I also believe that there is no profession that brings greater joy EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I am not just a teacher.
 I believe in relationships. The key to engaging learners, connecting with families, collaborating with colleagues, and being happy is relationships.  In this digital time, we need to find ways to connect deeper than the 140-character limit that doesn’t allow for body language and reading someone’s emotions.  We may be able to connect globally through digital means, but there will never be world peace unless we connect in person and create meaningful relationships.
I believe this list will grow as I reflect on my core beliefs and try to articulate them.

What do you believe?


No comments:

Post a Comment